Thursday, October 8, 2009

GM is back in town! PART 2











(Read below first - this was an experiment.) Anyway, roasting of the shanks was great, as hopefully you can see with the pics below. In fact, every time I do this I think I should just roast & serve them at this stage - maybe one day I will remember and do that! So, have another little sequence here of the layers. My carrots were fairly skinny so cut them large, as I like them not to get mushy. It worked, if anything they were almost too 'al dente' but popular opinion was that they were better that way than overcooked. Don't think the final plated shot does this dish justice; as usual in too much of a rush to eat while it's hot, rather than spend too much time on the photo! That's my excuse and I am sticking to it! Other thing to mention that I was undecided about the potato topping. It is not traditional mash; you bake the potatoes, which seems like a great idea as the oven is hot roasting the shanks. However, scooping the cooked potato out of the skins is more time consuming that peeling them. They were also a touch lumpy when I did the topping and I was rehearsing my excuses. BUT, I was converted once I tasted it. The lumps disappeared during the final baking and doing the potato this way meant it kept its character, did not merge with the creamed spinach. I am now a convert and will do this again. Julia provided a delicious raspberry tart for dessert. Did I mention that I am on a diet??!

No comments:

Post a Comment