Sunday, September 25, 2011

ROAST PORK

Pork is just not what it used to be!  It has been bred to be lean and now has no flavour, we all know you need some fat for deliciousness.  When my fabulous son-in-law was here for Alan's birthday he made superb Pork Burritos for our beach party.  We started with boned pork shoulder (from Costco, of course!).  He had a chunk left over and prepared it for me to roast at a later date.  The piece was about a foot square, probably about 3 pounds of meat.  He added some orange peel, sage leaves and garlic then rolled it.  I was able to use my new 'food loops' which had been a Christmas gift from Charlotte's glamorous Mum, Anke (thank you Anke, I love them!).  He gave me the following instructions to cook it:

Sear the meat over a medium/high heat.  Transfer to oven at 300 degrees F.  Add some chicken stock to the roasting pan with some booze and aromatics. I used a halved medium sized onion and some more sage leaves.  Roast for about 3-4 hours, basting frequently. His instructions were to cover the pan while roasting which I did not notice at the time.  I did have to top up the stock in the pan but it meant that the meat got really crispy and I have decided it is the way to go.  So with all this learning I did a roast pork shoulder today and it was also fabulous, if I say so myself!  As it had skin (later yummy crackling) I did not brown the meat before roasting and cooked it for a total of 5 hours.  I scored the skin in a diamond pattern and inserted slivers of garlic into the meat.  I peeled and halved 2 medium onions and added those to the pan along with  2 sprigs of sage.  I upped the temperature to 375 for the last hour, mostly because that was when I put in the potatoes.

Gravy:  take the meat out about half an hour before you plan to serve it, transfer to a heated plate, tent with foil and put near the stove to keep warm.  I slice off the skin at this point and return to oven on a new roasting pan to  crisp up. You should have at least a cup of juices in the pan the pork roasted in.  Pour it into a separator if you have one, improvise with a small jug.  Keep about 2 TBSPS oil in the pan and add one TBSP of flour to that.  Stir to combine the fat and flour then cook over a medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Now you need some liquied to add.  The juices in the pan were pretty flavourful so water would probably do.  If you are steaming vegetables you can use that water, I did from my cabbage.  A big dash of red wine is great too, chicken stock also works.  This is one of those recipes you need to get a feel for and it is never the same twice.

I apologize for my attempt at garnish, hey ho we can't all be perfect all the time!






No comments:

Post a Comment