Sunday, January 10, 2010

HARLAN'S FIRST BIRTHDAY!



Pros and cons to everything: having Harlan's birthday on the 23rd Dec means that they were visiting for Christmas and we could celebrate together. Chelsey did a great job with a 'Were the Wild Things Are' theme. She found a cake on a party website that was easy enough and I offered to make it. Have to admit I used Duncan Hines mix, Devils food cake, I think. Have been using this for years, started when I asked a friend and excellent caterer for a chocolate cake recipe (I found that the English cake recipes I had seemed not to work so well over here????!!!!). Anyway, knowing it was for Joseph's 5th birthday party she recommended Duncan Hines and I have used them many times since. His birthday is a couple of days after Christmas, another excuse for using a shortcut! The frosting (icing to me!) is the recipe my mother used when I was little, start with soft butter and beat in confectioners sugar til it tastes right, add flavouring and colouring as desired. I was pretty happy with how it turned out and Harlan seemed to enjoy his first birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment