Saturday, September 25, 2010

SALMON FOR JOSEPH

Alan has been traveling lately and I am feeling very hard done by as a single working commuting parent! Last weekend Joseph and I only managed to have dinner together once and I wanted to cook something he likes that would also be healthy! Came across a salmon recipe when I was browsing through my various cookbooks for inspiration. I had printed it from the Weber site a couple of years ago and had never made it.  The recipe seems to no longer be on the site, but it was short and easy:

Pepper-Crusted, Maple-Glazed Salmon
Marinade:  In a freezer bag, mix together  3/4 cup of maple syrup and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Add 4 skinned salmon fillets, about 6 ozs each. Press as much air out of the bag as you can and squish around to make sure all fillets are coated. Marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours but ideally 24 hours, turn occasionally.   Remove fillets from marinade and brush or spray both sides with oil, then coat top side only with 1/4 cup cracked pepper, divided between the 4 fillets.  Cook as per your favourite method.  We did not BBQ, I start the fish off in a very hot pan on the stove top for a couple of minutes then put into the oven til it is done through, mine took about 5 minutes but of course the thickness of your fish will determine the time.

Notes:  Can marinate for up to 48 hours but only prep with pepper just before cooking.  Easy to adjust the marinade for however many fillets you are cooking, keep proportion 3 parts syrup to 1 part soy; there was quite a lot of marinade,  I'm sure the above amount would be fine for at least 6, so if you are doing more do not increase proportionately.

I bought wild Scottish salmon from FishTails in New Canaan, which no doubt contributed to why it was so delicious!  I also bought a jar of cracked pepper, saved time.....  Apologies for picture being soft, taken on my phone as Alan has our camera with him - how sad is that, a shared camera......

No comments:

Post a Comment