Sunday, March 20, 2011

JOSEPH'S FAVOURITE BREAKFAST

Since Charlotte gave me the pan and the mix for these filled pancakes they have become a regular breakfast request on one of the weekend mornings.  I finally ran out of mix and had to improvise. I used my regular pancake recipe, only thing I changed was to separate the egg and whip the egg white before adding to the mixture.  They were definitely different, but Joseph declared them to be even better! Thanks again Charlotte.
  • Sift 1 cup flour with
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • add one egg yolk
  • one cup buttermilk and whisk til smooth
  • beat the egg white till fluffy (I do this first so I don't have to wash the beaters)
  • carefully add the egg white and 2 TSPS melted butter
I thought the mixture was thicker than it should be and added another dollop of buttermilk.
In the meantime have the pan warming on a medium heat with a dab of butter in each dent. Put 1 TBSP of mixture in each and add filling of your choice, our favourites:
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Banana
  • Peanut butter & jelly (actually Chelsey's fave!)
cover filling with more mixture.  When the bottoms are done carefully turn over with 2 wooden skewers and cook minute or so more.  My one tip is not to have the heat too high or the edges will burn before the middle is cooked.
Serve with melted butter and maple syrup, if you like.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like "poffertjes?"
    Gitta

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Gitta - according to the mix and the pan from Williams Sonoma, they are a Danish and called Ebelskiver

    ReplyDelete