Sunday, May 1, 2011

A RIGHT ROYAL DISH!

Have to admit I starting watching at about 5.45 on Friday morning, I thought it was all spectacular - the Brits know how to do this!  Katherine looked stunning, as did her sister and most of the guests.  The only stand outs for me were Eugenie and Beatrice - what were they thinking??? They looked like the ugly step-sisters...  but back to me.  My good friend Julia hosted the wedding party today and we all had to bring an 'appropriate' dish.  I decided on a version of Coronation chicken.  This dish was invented for the 1953 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, and there is some story about there being an ingredient from each Colony at the time.  More important to me is that my first foodie friend, Jock Lawson, used to make this often for parties, but she substituted the chicken with shrimp.  I had her tell me the recipe, must have been about 25 years ago (gulp, can that be true?).  I cannot remember when I made it last, but it did make me smile looking at my very neat handwriting in my first ever recipe book!

  • 1 small onion pureed
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 heaped tsp flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup Mayonaise (roughly, I did a conversion, start with a bit less and taste!)
  • 2 Tbsps curry powder
  • 8oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1Tbsp mango chutney pureed (can use apricot jam)
  • 2 Tbsps heavy/double cream
  • juice of about half a juicy lemon
  • tabasco to taste
  • 2 pounds of shrimp/prawns or shredded meat from one chicken.
Melt butter over medium heat, soften onion for about 5 mins, do not brown. Add flour & curry powder and cook for few mins more. Add tomatoes, chutney, sugar and season with S & P.  Cook over gentle heat for about half an hour.  Cool then add other ingredients.

I found it did not need any tabasco and I served with some melba toasts and peppery water biscuits which was all fabulous!  Sorry I forgot to take a pic before it was devoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment