Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial Day with friends















This tradition has been going for a few years now, as we have no family in the US (well, we sort of do but that should be the subject of another blog!), some of our lovely American friends join us at key holidays. It is often the first BBQ of the season but this year the weather forecast was not good. Decided to do meat in the oven but salads alongside, and leave the decision to eat inside or out to the last minute. As it turned out it was the right choice, we started outside for cocktails but rain sent us running inside within 15 minutes! Charlotte brought a wonderful shrimp with dill dip for appetiser and I made a Herb Roasted Pork Loin (from a recent Gourmet magazine) accompanied by Delia's corn salsa, a green salad and crusty bread. The Pork loin was disappointing, I have to say. Could have been that I misread the amount of herbs required and I did not have enough, or that it was ordinary pork which, we all know, has been bread to be so lean that it ends up dry all too easily and really doesn't have much flavour. It was not dry at all and luckily the sauce was delicious, and it did smell great while it was cooking! My guests were complimentary but I think they were just being polite! The corn salsa was as good as ever and the green salad was great. I had been given some white balsamic vinegar last Christmas and a green lemon oil which I used for the dressing, so felt good about those at least!
We finished the meal with a Baked raspberry tart which was excellent so I think my reputation is not entirely blown! Sadly that recipe was from Cooks Illustrated and you cannot get the recipes for free, will put it up once I get it figured out. Also did some Key Lime bars as I was feeding 12 people. Also pretty good but another Cooks Illustrated recipe so can't post a link right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment