Monday, July 4, 2011

An ex-pat 4th of July!

Happens to also be one of my best friend's, birthday so we have celebrated together for many years.  The table was heaving with delicious things and I am going to share what I contributed.
First of all I did beef short ribs.  First time I enjoyed these they were cooked by my now son-in law and the best chef ever, of course!  Next time I had them was as a sandwich at Table 8 in South Beach during one of those memorable girlie vacations.  On the strength of that hangover  meal Jules bought us all Govind Armstrong's book and I have to admit this is the first time I have dipped into it.  I cannot find a link to the recipe, the link here is a hint but you might want to buy the book.  The sandwich included pickled red onions which were just as fantastic with the short ribs, served as a meal instead of a sandwich.   Fellow guests added a green and potato salad and it became a memorable meal.  Was having such a good time that I forgot to  take a pic of the short ribs, but you can probably imagine them......

The meal was finished with Charlotte's wonderful berry cobbler and  Blondies, I had attempted for the first time.  I think they were ok but room for improvement here, thank goodness for hungry and forgiving teenagers!  Next time I will cook them for a minute less.  This was a Cook's Illustrated recipe, and as I have said before I cannot share their recipes, annoyingly.

Thank you Charlotte and John for another wonderful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment