Saturday, July 2, 2011

Perfect summer evening, Julia, Peas and Halibut!

Alan and Joseph are at a regatta for some of the weekend so Julia and I are having a girlie evening.  Started with a movie, plan was to come back to my place for margaritas and dinner.  Had to serve something that we could cook pretty quickly.  I cut this recipe, Peas with Halibut, out of the NY Times back in 2004 and have made it several times since.  The peas part is a great side dish, apparently cooking peas with lettuce and mint goes way back,  I was first served this by my oldest foodie friend, Jock, yonks ago!
Anyway, did small amount of prep before we went out, sliced the scallions and diced the bacon, and cooked it up whilst finishing the last few sips of Julia's most delicious margaritas.
One note, if you want a more healthy dish you can omit the bacon, I have never done that so cannot vouch for it!  I usually use the largest scallions I can find. Only thing I change is that I do not add any oil to the pan before I fry the bacon, it is not necessary, and I do pour out some of the bacon fat, leaving just enough to fry the onions in, honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment