Sunday, July 24, 2011

YOU WIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME........

I have always loved artichokes but have never mastered cooking them.  The baby ones have been showing up for the last couple of years and have been teasing me! There was an article in this weeks NYTimes Dining section which I could not resist, Pan Roasted Baby Artichokes.   Just the 3 of us for dinner tonight, did roast beef, some roasted vegetables and this was our green veg......... albeit fried!  Alan's verdict was 'a disaster';  Joseph's was: 'I hate artichokes.but these are.... not bad'.  My big mistake was not trimming them enough.  You really feel like you are throwing away 3/4s of your vegetable and in this instance that was not quite enough! Does look good though, don't you think?  The flavour was excellent, we just had to take off a couple fo extra leaves which were chewy and stringy to get to the good part, worth it in my view, and a lesson for next time!
One note, you cook these in a lot of oil, recipe does not say to use a slotted spoon ro remove from pan to serving dish, but that is what I did and would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment